Jersey School of Dramatic Arts
The New Jersey School of Dramatic Arts Encore Theatre announces audition dates for HEATHERS THE MUSICAL (High School Edition). HEATHERS THE MUSICAL (High School Edition) is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously handsome new kid J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather's aerobicized butt... but J.D. has another plan for that bullet. Brought to you by the award-winning creative team of Kevin Murphy (Reefer Madness, Desperate Housewives), Laurence O’Keefe (Bat Boy, Legally Blonde) and director Andy Fickman (Reefer Madness, She’s the Man), Heathers The Musical (High School Edition) is a hilarious, heartfelt and homicidal new show based on the greatest teen comedy of all time.
** Please note, that the ENCORE THEATRE COMPANY is a TUITION-based program, which offers Class and Workshop opportunities.
AUDITIONS will take place:
@ THE NEW JERSEY SCHOOL OF DRAMATIC ARTS STUDIOS
593 Bloomfield Ave., Bloomfield, NJ
visit www.njactors.org for directions
SATURDAY OCT. 14th, 2017, 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
SUNDAY OCT. 15th 2017, 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
CALLBACKS (by invitation only) - THURSDAY, OCT 19th, 2017, 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
PERFORMANCES will be on Jan 12th, 13th, & 14th, 2018 at the Westminster Arts Theatre, 449 Franklin Street, Bloomfield, NJ.
MATURE, Responsible, Strong performers (14 - 26) with pop/rock/r&b vocal skills, dance and movement ability and strong acting technique to participate in a production of Heathers the Musical.
WHAT TO PREPARE:
16 - 32 Bars of 2 rock/pop songs or Pop Musical Theater. BRING SHEET MUSIC in your correct key. A piano accompanist will be provided. Also be prepared to Dance at Callbacks.
Directed by: Lauren M. Grof-Tisza "Cookie" With over 25+ years experience on and off stage in theaters throughout NJ & beyond, Cookie is happy to put back on the director's cap this time for NJSDA. For the past few years, she has been working with NJSDA including "American Idiot" & PSM for last years "Spring Awakening". She has Production Stage Managed over 25 productions as well as recently directing "Art" & "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" for The Barn Theatre & "The Wedding Singer" for The Charles Seller Foundation/Talent Time Players. Throughout her vast theatrical career she has also been seen on stage; recently as Sara Jane Moore in "Assassins" as CDC & received a Perry Award Nomination for her role as Nancy in "Oliver!" at OLT. In the past few years, her focus has beed exploring Lighting Design and has been the resident lighting designer for West Orange High School since 2013. She has a passion for working with Youth Actors for almost 20 years with groups like NJSDA, NiCori Productions, Gas Lamp Players, WOHS, Bloomfield High School &The Charles Seller Foundation/Talent Time Players (where she served as organization president for 3 years).
Musical Direction by: David Maglione New Jersey based composer/lyricist. Favorite shows(as MD/AMD) include: Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, Saturday Night Fever, Next to Normal, Spring Awakening, Hello, Dolly!, [title of show] and Peter Pan. Thank you to NJSDA and the entire company of Heathersfor the collaboration.Currentlydeveloping a new musical entitledFitted Up; the fight to prove myinnocencebased on the book of the same name.
Choreography by: Zakiya Atkinson is delighted to work with this cast and creative team. Credit include concert dance, theatre, television, print and performance as a Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleader (NFL). Zakiya is director of Zaman Dance Theatre Collective, holds an MA in dance education (NYU) and certificate in Holocaust and Genoside studies, contributing to her development of socio-political performance works. She has traveled internationally conducting outreach projects and workshops, and is committed to interdisciplinary arts practices.
Design Team: Nicholas Marmo, Lillian Sun, Miguel Urbino and Nick Von Hagel
Managing Director: Ted Wrigley
Founded in 2004, the New Jersey School of Dramatic Arts (www.njactors.org) in Bloomfield, NJ has provided comprehensive professional acting training for adults, teens and children. More than 3,000 students, some of whom have gone on to pursue professional acting careers, have taken classes at the school since it opened its doors thirteen years ago.
NJSDA’s Encore Theater Company is a unique, pre-professional performance program dedicated to developing diverse and multi-dimensional theater artists who are preparing for a career in the industry. Encore’s directors and designers are passionate theater-arts professionals, committed to creating challenging, innovative, high quality work and providing a collaborative, motivating, interdisciplinary outlet for actors to broaden their performance skills. Company members have access to the resources of the inspiring, professional theater-outreach community that is New Jersey School of Dramatic Arts. NJSDA’s Encore is a Not-For-Profit Educational Theater Organization offering the highest-quality comprehensive theater training for emerging artists.
- 17. She burns to be both cool and kind, but doesn’t know yet how to be both at the same time. Fierce sense of right and wrong, keen sense of ironic humor. Thinks she's an old soul, but she's still innocent enough to be blindsided by love/hormones (or shocked by cruelty). Voice: High belting required, up to Ab. Must have dynamic and stylistic range.
- 17. He is darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive, charming on the outside yet very damaged on the inside. Keen smarts and strong inventive comedy. Voice: Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable; wide emotional range.
- 17. Richest, hottest, most magnetic, cruelest girl in town. Relishes power and wields it like a scalpel – no fear, no patience, no mercy. Voice: Strong belt to F or higher preferred.
HEATHER MCNAMARA -
17. Beautiful, innocent, stupid, can be mean on command if Heather Chandler orders it, but actually quite vulnerable and fearful. Voice: Strong belt to Db, D preferred
- 17. Whipping-girl of the 3 Heathers. When she finally becomes Queen Bee she wields power like a bulldozer. Alto for chorus. Voice: Strong belt to C, D preferred. Alto for chorus.
- 17. Nicknamed “Martha Dumptruck”, the opposite of hot, confident, or popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. Voice: Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.
- 17, Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. Voice: Strong Baritone, belt to G, some Falsetto useful.
- 17. Quarterback and Captain. Big, chiseled, rude, entitled, cocky. Mean, thinks he’s the brains in the friendship with Ram. Voice: Tenor, strong belt to Ab or A, some Falsetto.
- Former football player turned suburban Dad, has never outgrown his glory days in high school. Hates weakness, but capable of soul-searching when tragedy strikes.
BIG BUD DEAN
- JDACs single Dad. Big jolly personality that barely conceals the enormous rage bubbling just below the surface. Quite possibly a serial bomber.
- Stalwart, MANACs man; quick to defend his players.
- Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth. Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth.
- Easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law. Voice: Great belt up to C, higher always welcome.
- Straight-laced, very conservative, also former football player. A simple guy, not book smart, you’d be happy to share a beer with him.
- Easygoing and distant.
-Rumpled, burned out, hates conflict.
(BOY 1) - A put-upon, bitter geek. Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
(BOY 2) - A blowdried 80’s preppy. Voice: Bass (up to E) or Bari (up to G#).
(BOY 3) - Thinks he’s Ducky from ‘Pretty In Pink.’ Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
NEW WAVE GIRL
(GIRL 1) - A sullen New Wave girl. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
(GIRL 2) - A fuzzyheaded stoner chick. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
(GIRL 3) - A tennis-playing, uptight Student Council type. Voice: Belt to at least C# (Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).